Wednesday, January 13, 2016

David Bowie: Lazarus

Day three of our tribute to David Bowie features a new song from the album “Blackstar” that was released just two days before his death. Although “Lazarus” was from the new album, it premiered on December 17, 2015. It would be his last single release while Bowie was alive.


“Lazarus,” as well as the entire album “Blackstar,” was a statement concerning his impending death and his release from pain. Although the song wasn’t specifically written about his own death, it was the title song his off-Broadway production of a sequel to “The Man Who Fell to Earth.” Lazarus took place 30 years after the original story.

While Bowie played the character of Thomas Gerome Newton in the film, the character was reprised by Michael C. Hall – who might be better remembered as playing Dexter Morgan. The title “Lazarus” alludes to the biblical character that Jesus raised from the dead for days after he passed.

It’s quite different from anything else Bowie has recorded and he fully utilizes the talents of Donny McCaslin on sax, Tim Lefebvre on bass, Jason Linder on keyboards, Ben Monder on guitar, and Mark Guiliana on drums. Bowie plays acoustic on the cut.

Lyrics


Look up here, I'm in heaven
I've got scars that can't be seen
I've got drama, can't be stolen
Everybody knows me now

Look up here, man, I'm in danger
I've got nothing left to lose
I'm so high, it makes my brain whirl
Dropped my cell phone down below
Ain't that just like me?

By the time I got to New York
I was living like a king
Then I used up all my money
I was looking for your past

This way or no way
You know I'll be free
Just like that bluebird
Now, ain't that just like me?

Oh, I'll be free
Just like that bluebird
Oh, I'll be free
Ain't that just like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment