Monday, November 3, 2014

Cris Jacobs: The Devil or Jesse James

A few weeks ago, I heard our feature artist on Mountain Stage doing a number of songs including today’s selection, “The Devil or Jesse James.” In fact, I heard it twice with an encore presentation a week later. As I was listening to the show, Jacobs’ impressive guitar work caught my ear. From Baltimore, Jacobs had been a member of the band The Bridge until they officially called it quits in 2011.


Besides one reunion date with The Bridge in 2012, Jacobs has been performing solo and with his own band – which is appropriately called the Cris Jacobs Band. It’s hard to tell exactly what tuning that Jacobs is using on this cut, as his fingers are often obscured by the microphone. My best guess is that it is a Double Dropped “D” Tuning (DADGBD) that is capoed up a full step to “E.”

This version was recorded on February 23, 2014 as part of the webcast “Listen in with Ellen Cherry.” Nice stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment