Monday, September 1, 2014

Amy Ray: Duane Allman

I must apologize for my extended absence. I just started a new job and I needed to concentrate on becoming acclimated to my new surroundings during the last two weeks. To get back into the “Grooves,” I have a performance that I heard a few months ago on Mountain Stage from West Virginia Public Radio.


Luckily, Amy Ray’s tribute to “Duane Allman” was videotaped and immortalized on YouTube. Amy plays what appears to be a vintage Gibson A model mandolin. The song really presents an authentic Allman Brothers’ vibe with the interplay between the lead guitar and the pedal steel. Unfortunately, neither musician is featured much visually in this recording; however, the talented fiddle player gets more than his share of screen time.

If Amy Ray’s name is not familiar, perhaps you’re familiar with the Indigo Girls. Amy and Emily Saliers have been performing since the early 80s in that unit. Ray has additionally recorded five studio and two live albums as a solo artist. Good stuff.







No comments:

Post a Comment