Monday, March 17, 2014

Horslips: Drive the Cold Winter Away

For this St. Patrick’s Day, I thought I’d feature a cut from my favorite Irish band “Horslips.” Spring officially begins this week; but as I look out my window, I still see snow on the ground. I thought that I’d feature a near instrumental that was the title cut from their 1975 album “Drive the Cold Winter Away.” If I thought this song would have accomplished this, I would have featured it months ago – as what a winter we have had. Horslips plays this as the original tune was written in Dm; however, they end the tune on a D major chord.


While this 17th century Christmas carol is referenced as a yuletide melody when sung, Horslips only sings the title during the song’s ending phrases – so for those not familiar with “Drive the Cold Winter Away,” it may very well appear as an ode to ending the winter season. Such as the case may be, I figured that there is no harm to play it on a snowy St. Patrick’s Day when it is nigh unto the end of winter. . . and, since St. Patrick was a Christian missionary, I believe I’ll be forgiven by featuring this tune a little late in the winter season. Happy St. Patrick’s Day.



2 comments:

  1. Hooray for Horslips! A criminally underappreciated band!

    ReplyDelete