Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Daylight Savings: Time

Like Steely Dan, The Alan Parsons Project was a band with a fluid line-up that centered around two people. While Donald Fagen and Walter Becker drove Steely Dan, the creative geniuses behind the Alan Parsons Project were its namesake Alan Parsons and his partner in crime Eric Woolfson.


In many cases guest vocalists were heard singing the lead vocals; however, on their 1981 hit “Time,” Woolfson is featured and Parsons sings backup. Released on the 1980 album “Turn of a Friendly Card,” “Time” charted at #15 during the summer of 1981. It reminds me so much of my first year at WCIR in Beckley, WV. I came to the station on February 16, 1981 and originally worked the evening shift from 6 to 11:30 PM.

I will have to say that of all the stations for which I’ve worked, that CIR was probably the most energetic and innovative. It was a good career move for me and I still have roots in Beckley, even though I am back in Kentucky where I got my radio start in 1974. Do I miss radio? Some days, but mostly not; however, I wouldn’t trade those years for anything.

I guess I’m reminiscing – just as the protagonist did in this very beautiful song.

Goodbye my friend, maybe for forever
Goodbye my friend, the stars wait for me
Who knows where we shall meet again, if ever
But time keeps flowing like a river
To the sea, to the sea till it's gone forever
Gone forever, gone forevermore, forevermore, forevermore.

)


No comments:

Post a Comment