Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Town Mountain: I'm on Fire

I don’t remember where I first heard Town Mountain’s version of Bruce Springsteen’s “I’m on Fire,” but I’m pretty sure it was on Pandora. I immediately loved it and found it on YouTube and added it to my favorite selections. They’re not your granddad’s bluegrass band, but they aren’t new grass either. One reviewer said that they were “bluegrass as it should be played.”


Featuring the traditional string instruments of guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, and upright bass; Town Mountain hails from Asheville, NC – a town I had an opportunity to visit for the first time last summer. Additionally, Town Mountain was the 2013 International Bluegrass Music Association Band of the Year and their lead vocalist, Robert Greer, was named Vocalist of the Year.

Their rendition of this Springsteen classic is as authentic sounding as if it were a bluegrass ballad from the past. Check it out this track from their second CD: “Heroes and Heretics.”





No comments:

Post a Comment