Sunday, December 8, 2013

Refab Four: If I Needed Someone

Well, it’s the second week of December and today we begin a week-long series devoted to others doing Beatles’ songs – I term the subject matter as being “Refab Four.” I considered using the moniker Beatlesque, but that term is far more reaching of a topic than simply recording a Beatles’ tune. Beatlesque can be defined as other bands whose sound was based on the Fab Four’s musical style.



“If I Needed Someone” was one of my favorite George Harrison’s songs with The Beatles. Issued on the UK version of “Rubber Soul” in 1965, it did not hit the American shores until 1966 when the US LP “Yesterday . . . and Today” was released. The main guitar lick was influenced by The Byrds’ “The Bells of Rhymney.” Prior to the release of the album, Harrison sent Roger (then known as Jim) McGuinn a copy of the song with an acknowledgement concerning McGuinn’s influence on the tune.

Turnabout is fair play and Roger McGuinn recorded his own version of “If I Needed Someone” in 2004. It was the opening track on his CD “Limited Edition.” Good stuff from the master of the electric 12-string guitar.




No comments:

Post a Comment