Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Mashup: Uptight Religion

Our Tasty Licks Tuesday selection for this week takes a look at some “tasty” production techniques with a musical mashup. The creator of this particular production took the instrumental track from R.E.M.’s “Losing my Religion” sped it up and overlaid Stevie Wonder’s vocal track from “Uptight (Everything’s Alright).”

I stumbled on this video on YouTube totally by accident and was pleasantly surprised when I played it. Kudos to the YouTube subscriber “THEmotownboy” for being able to hear this mashup work prior to doing the production - that's talent.

This particular mashup reminds me of the production on The Beatles “Love” CD where different Beatle song elements were strung together and overlaid.Because the chords are different in the two songs, the vocals of one song over the instrumentation over the other creates a new chordal harmonic. I hope you enjoy this mashup as much as I have.




No comments:

Post a Comment