Friday, November 2, 2012

America: Everyone I Meet Is From California

I was talking to a friend yesterday about the group America and we were reliving some of their great music. I was reminded that I hadn’t featured any of their music for a while; therefore, I thought I might give it a stab for my Friday Flipside selection. The single “Horse with no Name” was released twice and I already featured the flip of the second issue – “Sandman.”


When Warner Brothers originally released the single in January 1972, it had a different “B” side. The song was the same one used on the successful UK version of the single and was a Dan Peek composition titled “Everyone I Meet is from California.” Originally a non-album single, the song later appeared on America’s second album under the title of “California Revisited.”

The initial single release of “Horse with no Name” failed to chart, but the second version was a #1 single. Because of this, Warner Brothers pulled their first album which did not include the cut and reissued the LP with “Horse with no Name.” And the rest they say is musical history.



1 comment:

  1. I have this 45 with the other side is hand written Horse with no name. I think it is an original DJ 45. Side B. Do you have any information about this??

    ReplyDelete