Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Association: Never My Love

I heard The Association’s “Never My Love” on an episode of House, M.D. a week or so ago, and so here it is – our TV Thursday’s selection. In October 1967, the song peaked at number 2 on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart. By December, the RIAA certified the single as gold for one million sales.


“Never my Love” was written by the Addrisi Brothers (Don and Dick) who had two hit records in the 70s – “We’ve Got to Get it on Again” in 1972 and “Slow Dancin’ Don’t Turn Me On” in 1977; however, their recording career that stretched from 1958 to 1981 could not compare to their songwriting success with “Never My Love.”

According to BMI, “Never My Love” was the second most often played tune during the 20th century. It is in good company as “You’ve Lost that Lovin’ Feeling” was the number one song, while The Beatles’ “Yesterday” placed at #3. Others in the top five included “Stand by Me” and “Can’t Take My Eyes off of You.” It was estimated that by 1999, “Never My Love” had over seven million airplays.

The Association’s recording of “Never My Love” features dual lead vocals by Terry Kirkman and Larry Ramos. The arrangement is all tied together with organ chords, lush string arrangements, and layered vocals. The lead is played on an organ and I am not going to venture a guess on its brand. Pay particular attention to the electric piano. It isn’t a Wurlizter or a Rhodes – I am betting that it was either a Hohner Pianet or an RMI Electra-Piano.




No comments:

Post a Comment