Friday, February 24, 2012

Sam Cooke: A Change Gonna Come

Following Sam Cooke’s death in 1964, RCA Victor Records effectively released what would become a posthumous double sided hit for the late artist. Recorded in 1963, “Shake” and its flipside “A Change is Gonna Come” made a splash on both the R&B charts and the Hot 100 in 1965. While the “A” side was a top ten hit on both charts, its flip side was no slouch either and “A Change is Gonna Come” charted at #9 on the R&B chart and at #31 on the Hot 100.


Cooke’s song of social consciousness, which became an anthem for the Civil Rights Movement of the sixties was initially inspired by Bob Dylan’s “Blowing in the Wind.” Cooke started writing the lyrics after talking to some demonstrators in Durham, North Carolina.

The song was recorded on December 21, 1963 and was released as a single exactly one year and a day later – eleven days after Cooke’s untimely death. The lush orchestral arrangement was provided by concertmaster René Hall who made liberal usage of a French horn and tympani.

Cooke’s vocal performance is par excellence as he reached back into his gospel roots for this spiritually tinged song looking for change. Rolling Stone has named “A Change is Gonna Come” as #12 on its list of the top 500 songs.


Lyrics

I was born by the river in a little tent
And just like that river, I've been running ever since
It's been a long time coming
But I know a change is gonna come, oh yes it will

It's been too hard living, but I'm afraid to die
Cause, I don't know what's out there beyond the sky
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change is gonna come; oh yes it will

I go to the movie
And I go downtown
somebody keep telling me don't hang around
It's been along time coming
But I know a change is gonna come; oh yes it will

Then I go to my brother
And I say brother help me please
But he winds up knockin' me
Back down on my knees

There were times when I thought I couldn't last for long
But now I think I'm able to carry on
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gone come; oh yes it will





No comments:

Post a Comment