Sunday, January 15, 2012

Ben Harper: Picture of Jesus

Ben Harper is joined by The Blind Boys of Alabama in this Spiritual Sunday selection. “Picture of Jesus” actually has a double meaning – one that honors Jesus Christ and the memory of the portrait that hung in his childhood home and one that honors Martin Luther King, Jr. who Harper states that he was a picture of Jesus as well. Since tomorrow is Martin Luther King’s Birthday, I thought I would feature this song today.

Harper is playing a Les Paul TV Special model. The TV Special was a style offered by Gibson from 1955 to 1961 as they believed that the yellow paint allowed the guitar show up better on black and white television. It was definitely less harsh than the pearl white finish that they would later offer on their guitars.

The primary keyboard on this cut is a Wurlitzer electric piano. I had one of these from 1976 through 1987. It was a great little instrument, but I beat it to death. I would love to have another as the action was great. I liked it much better than that of the Rhodes piano which I thought felt mushy.



No comments:

Post a Comment