Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Carlos Vamos: Little Wing

When I picked up my Christmas present of an octave mandolin the other day, the first song I played was Jimi Hendrix’s “Little Wing”; however, I played my very basic rendition of the chords to the Clapton version from “Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs” by Derek and the Dominoes. I actually heard this version first, but like Hendrix’s original much better. Even better, I like the live version The Corrs did a few years back.

I’ve already featured The Corrs, Clapton, and Hendrix.  I was looking for another version for this week';s Tasty Licks Tuesday feature; however, I found an even better version – better than Hendrix – no way. Way.

I stumbled upon Carlos Vamos’ instrumental treatment. Vamos lives in Amsterdam, but you are likely to see him busking around Europe with his partner in crime – dulcimer player Lindsey Buckland as part of The Famous Unknowns. From looking at his MySpace site, it is obvious that guitar is not his only talent as his portfolio of the mixed media creations.

As far as recordings, Carlos has 17 CDs to his credit. His talent in using both hands to tap the guitar into a world of marvelous sounds makes me want to give away all of my instruments and shave my head as I will never in a million years have the talent he has in one finger within my two hands. I am now definitely a fan.



Vamos’ Etherial Electric Version





2 comments:

  1. I came across carlos vamos today and I'm speechless.
    He is such a raw artistic talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - Vamos is up there with the best of the best.

    ReplyDelete