Friday, March 4, 2011

Wings: Little Woman Love

If you’ve been paying attention, you’ve noticed that I haven’t been making any posts here on “Reading Between the Grooves” as I have been suffering from the flu. Although I am not completely over it, I thought I would try my hand at making a post since some of my energy has returned.

Every Friday I feature a flipside and this week the “B” side of Wings’ second single “Mary Had a Little Lamb” is our feature song. Because American radio panned the “A” side and flipped the single, “Little Woman Love” was the radio hit. I prefer it to their version of the classic nursery rhyme which was intended to be the hit record. The single charted at #28 in 1972.

My favorite part of this short little song is the piano run that Paul McCartney plays. In college, a friend of mine and master musician Keith Shimfessel showed me how to play that lick. I’ll be indebted to him forever. There are other gems of production in this song that is just barely over two minutes in length. One of those is the acoustic bass run halfway through the tune. Good stuff from McCartney and company.




No comments:

Post a Comment