Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Abigail Washburn: City of Refuge

I caught a piece on National Public Radio’s “All Things Considered” program this last Sunday and the final vignette dealt with banjoist Abigail Washburn. I wasn’t familiar with her or her music prior to this episode and I cannot tell you why. But that is behind me now – I certainly am a fan of her clawhammer style of banjo playing and her crystal clear voice. It is certainly worth taking a listen to this live cut from WFPK in Louisville, KY to see what you think.


Abigail is also married to the best known banjoist these days – Bela Fleck. Although Bela plays a different style altogether, I would imagine that this marriage would produce some unique jam sessions around the old home place. I wonder what style their children will play after they have the obligatory banjo lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment