Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Episode 400 - Richard Thompson: Poor Ditching Boy

Well it’s time for another assessment on this blog as I do every 100 posts. Today it’s the 400th post. By the time you read this, we will have reached our 10,000th unique visitor. At midnight, we were 7 shy of that major number. If you are interested in the stats for Reading between the Grooves, go to the bottom of the page. It has been a monumental several months. More on that later.

It’s no secret that there are some artists of which I am partial. Of those are the collected and individual works of the alumni of Fairport Convention. That includes today’s featured artist for Traditional Tuesday, Richard Thompson. In April 1972, Richard released his first solo work – “Henry the Human Fly.” In the US, the LP was originally released on the Reprise label.

I bought my copy in 1973 or 1974 and it has been one of my favorites for many years. I probably will get around to featuring the album as a Saturday Album feature, but until that time, I thought I would tempt you with a tantalizing taste of Thompson.

Had I not known that “The Poor Ditching Boy” was a Thompson original, I would have thought that it was a traditional lament. It just sounds like it was written centuries ago and Richard’s voice lends credence to these thoughts.

I considered using a cover of this song for a Monday; however, I never could find anyone that did the song any justice – although many had recorded the tune. It’s best to stay with an original by the original.



RBTG’s 400th Post Retrospect

Like I had reported with the 100th, 200th, and 300th posts, I took a look backward on how we are doing visitor wise. I began this blog on September 26, 2009, but did not start monitoring the visits until October 16, 2009. Since that time, we have had the following:

VariableStatistic
Unique Visitors9,993
Times Visited11,949
Number of Pages Viewed19,773
People Visiting 200+ Times423
People Visiting 101-200 Times223
People Visiting 51-100 Times163
People Visiting 26-50 Times104
Number of Visitor Countries Represented104
Percentage of Visitors Referred from Search Engines52.44%
Percentage of Visitors Referred from Other Sites36.66%
Percentage of Visitors via Direct Access10.90%

The Top Ten Charts

As one would find in music trade magazines, I have prepared some Top Ten Charts for "Reading between the Grooves."

The Top Ten Visitor Countries

Since the 300th post on July 27, 2010, the number of visitor countries increased from 88 to 104. The same countries made the Top 10 at both the 200th and 300th anniversary; however, the order changed somewhat with Brazil and Italy moving up and Australia moving down.

RankCountryVisits
1United States6,723
2United Kingdom911
3Canada579
4Germany492
5France260
6Italy254
7Brazil237
8Australia211
9The Netherlands156
10Japan139

The Top Ten Pages via Direct Access

While most people (1,634) have visited the home page for “Reading Between the Grooves,” others enter distinct pages through page specific links and via search engine returns. Two new pages joined the list and overtook the number one and two slots.


The Top Days by Total Visits

This chart represents the days that encountered the most visits and the content that was featured on those particular days. Only one was on the list at the 300th post – “The Prescription is More Cowbell.”

I have to thank some of my friends from college for some of the success within the last three months. Three of the posts were from violin/fiddle week – a suggestion from Greg Rector. Two additional posts were inspired by Stuart Shepard when he sent me a story about the reunion of Buffalo Springfield.


The Top Days by New Visitors

This chart represents the days that encountered the most visits by first time visitors and the content that was featured on those particular days. All of these posts came within the last 100 posts. I am intrigued that two of the top 10 on both lists were by Elliot Murphy. Who would have thunk it?

RankDayDateAssociated ContentNew Visitors
1THU07 OCT 2010Kansas “Dust in the Wind”79
2TUE05 OCT 2010Fairport Convention “Crazy Man Michael”78
3TUE28 SEP 2010Elliot Murphy “Eva Braun”74
4MON08 NOV 2010Elliot Murphy “Wild Horses”71
5SUN26 SEP 2010Richie Furay “I Am Sure”67
6SAT27 SEP 2010”Buffalo Springfield Again”67
7SUN19 SEP 2010Livingston Taylor “Tell Jesus to Come to my House”66
8SAT31 JUL 2010Marshall Tucker Band64
9MON27 SEP 2010Noa Johannesson: “Roxanne”61
10SAT06 NOV 2010Duran Duran “Rio”61

As always, I want to take this time to thank all of you for your support of this site and the encouragement to keep going forward. Thanks again for Reading between the Grooves.

1 comment:

  1. I am one of those people who said, “I’ll never call a psychic or a magician or whatever” to help me with my problems – least of all my love problems, but I reached the point where I knew I needed some guidance, and I’m so glad I found this man called dr.ajeghe. When I nearly lost David in one of ouar stupid,fights (he broke up with me), I thought I had lost everything.i cry all day and think that he will never come back to me again.i read so many testimony about Dr. ajeghe love spell,how he help to bring back ex lover back.I quickly email him.and also get back my husband with his love spell. And when I was at my most desperate,he didn’t take advantage of me. You performed a very good service for a person in true need. I don’t know how you did it, or how this magic works, but all I know is, IT WORKS!! David my husband and I are happily back together, and I’ll always be grateful to dr.ajeghe email him for any kinds of help is very capable and reliable for help ajeghespelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2349069171173

    ReplyDelete