Monday, July 12, 2010

Paul Young (with Paul Carrack): Don't Dream It's Over

A while back, I did a weekly feature on Ronnie Lane and got excellent reviews of the week from a number of folk whose opinions I value greatly. From time to time, I will do this with different individuals that have had varied careers in the field of music. This week I’ll feature the music of Paul Carrack. Paul who? I know that will be the reaction of some, but as the week continues – you’ll realize that you have heard his music. All five of the selections this week will feature Paul in some manner, shape, or form.

As I feature cover songs on Monday, this week is no exception. A couple weeks ago, I utilized a Paul Young song for the cover; and today, I’m returning to his 1991 recording of Crowded House’s smash hit “Don’t Dream It’s Over.” While Young’s recording didn’t chart in the US, it was a top twenty hit in the UK. I know, what does Paul Young have to do with Paul Carrack? The answer, Carrack sings the second lead and backup as well as playing the organ part that Mitchell Froom made famous in the original. For that original recording, see my post from April 29, 2010.



No comments:

Post a Comment