Saturday, March 27, 2010

Bad Company: Bad Company

I was talking to my brother last night and somehow we got talking about Bad Company’s debut album and how great a recording it was. Released in 1974, it was their only number one album in the US and was their best selling LP. The “Bad Company” album gained multi-platinum status with over five million units sold. It was one of those LPs that I didn’t get when it came out, but I got it on cassette in 1985 and remember listening to it over and over in my car as I drove over an hour to play with the band I was a member at the time.

Named after the movie of the same name, Bad Company joined two members of Free (vocalist Paul Rodgers and drummer Simon Kirke) with guitarist Mick Ralphs of Mott the Hoople, and former King Crimson bassist Boz Burrell. The chemistry was magical. The debut album also featured King Crimson saxophonist Mel Collins and background vocalists Sue & Sunny from The Brotherhood of Man.

The album came out during the summer of 1974 and I remember it getting heavy airplay on Pittsburgh’s top 40 outlets as well as the three AOR stations at the time. The album produced three singles: “Can’t Get Enough” that charted at 5; “Movin’ On” that peaked at 19; and my favorite, “Bad Company,” which failed to chart.

Can’t Get Enough




Can’t Get Enough (live)





Movin’ On




Bad Company




The Entire LP in Order




No comments:

Post a Comment