Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Coyote Run: Finnean's Dance

There are those occasions where I will not have a great deal to say about a particular artist or song, as I prefer to let the music speak for itself. Today is one of those Traditional Tuesdays, as I feature an American band from Williamsburg, VA named Coyote Run and their song, “Finnean’s Dance.”



Although the current lineup of Coyote Run is pared down to a four piece – sans a second guitarist as seen in the video – they are still very high energy performers. I came upon this band when someone on Facebook passed a link to one of their videos onto my wife. It was an epiphany for me, as it was the first time in a long time that we agreed on music – not a normal occurrence around our house. I have used the occasion to introduce her to a number of artists of which she was formerly unaware.

Coyote Run was formed in 1999 by front man David Doersch, whose theatrical background serves as a pivot point for this band’s selection of songs and their original writing. Some of the comments by the critics include the following:
"Imagine Jethro Tull on Broadway and you start to get the picture." -- Sam McDonald, Music Editor, Daily Press, Norfolk, VA

"The audience levitated three feet off their chairs, that's how good Coyote Run was." -- Rich Warren, Host of Folk Stage, WFMT, Chicago, IL

"The take-no-prisoners approach to Celtic music." -- Gene Shay, WXPN, Philadelphia, PA

"Listening to Coyote Run reminds me of a large...library where every book you open gives you a view of something fascinating." -- Art Ketchen, Celtic Beat Magazine, Cambridge, MA
They are worth a listen in my book. I will leave you with another of their original tunes that also showcases their theatrical side. It is called, “But for the Blood.”


No comments:

Post a Comment