Friday, December 18, 2009

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain: Fly Me Off The Handel

It is Fun Friday and the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain explores Georg Friedrich Händel’s pervasive chord progression that has contributed to many popular tunes in the last 60 years.




I learned about the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain when a cousin of mine sent me a link to one of their other performances. I was hooked and explored YouTube for more videos by the band that has a large following in their homeland.

Today’s song is a medley that contains:

  • Georg Friedrich Händel’s “Harpsichord Suite in G Minor”
  • Bart Howard’s “Fly Me to the Moon,” as made famous by Frank Sinatra
  • Francis Lai & Carl Sigman’s “(Where do I Begin) Love Story,” sung by Andy Williams
  • Charles Fox & Norman Gimbel’s “Killing me Softly with his Song,” made popular by Roberta Flack
  • Don Felder, Don Henley, and Glenn Frey of the Eagles’ “Hotel California”
  • Freddie Perren and Dino Fekaris’ “I will Survive” – the 1978 hit for Gloria Gaynor

Other versions of this mashup include “Autumn Leaves”; however, the round at the end is quite confusing with the extra tune. One of my favorite parts is the intentional substitution of colitas with fajitas in "Hotel California. It makes sense - "the warm smell of fajitas."

Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment